Thursday, August 31, 2006

More Quotes

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Intolerance is the natural concomitant of strong faith; tolerance grows only when faith loses certainty; certainty is murderous.
-Will Durant

There is no heresy or no philosophy which is so abhorrent to the church as a human being.
-James Joyce

You laugh at me because I am different; I laugh because you are all the same.
-Daniel Knode

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.
-Sir R. F. Burton

You don't have to give the Republicans Hell. All You have to do is tell the truth, and they'll think that it's Hell.
-Harry Truman

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.
-Bertrand Russell

But we, wretched unbelievers, we bear our own burdens; we must say, 'I myself did it, I. Not God, not Satan; I myself!'
-Olive Schreiner

Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration - courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth.
-H.L. Mencken

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.
-Benjamin Franklin

War is only a cowardly escape from the problems of peace.
-Thomas Mann

No comments: